Friday, June 15, 2012

Sleepy Head

This is another older one I never posted. At the time, I was doing a lot of children images and didn't care for it..but now, especially after coming back from a trip without seeing them for a while, it makes me like it a lot. It's interesting to note that the way we respond to images as little to do with how they look rather than how they connect with out personal stories. I am always fascinated by that. For example... I was in BD fugue in Annecy, ( it is one of the two local graphic novel stores , the other being 9Quai) looking at the books, and my eyes kept being attracted to the flashy covers .... but when I would pour through the book, I got bored more often than not. Than, Vincent, the store manager, gave me this book by Rabate called "les petits ruisseaux" which is drawn in a very loose way..very sketchy and definitely without all the visual artifacts of paintings and textures etc etc.. I think I might have seen it in the store but didn't stop on it.. but when I read it.. I could NOT put it down. It is just a great and touching story that is served so much better by a simpler drawing style. I think what I am trying to say is that sometimes, a simpler drawing, a simpler way of saying things is better than a very well rendered drawing. There are things that you can get across in a simpler image that you can't in a more rendered one.... Something to think about I suppose. Ho..and thank you Vincent for that book!

3 comments:

Corinne Giampaglia said...

......mi piace molto il tuo lavoro
corinne

Anonymous said...

Hi ,pascal i m u r big fan u r doing wonderful job.i m spechles i see u r daily update heads of u sir.

Jesse Soto said...

This post was very inspiring! Thanks for posting.